Creative Manitoba is presenting The Art of Managing Your Career – Indigenous Perspectives, a course offering an overview of practical skills required to grow your career as an artist and creator. The eight-session program takes place in October and November 2019, and the instructor is Yvette Hawkes (Métis), a Winnipeg-based freelance visual artist.
For Indigenous artists working in any artistic discipline, the course covers both business and cultural subjects, including:
- Envisioning and developing a career strategy
- Effective business and communication skills
- Marketing and promoting your work
- Managing projects, financial affairs, and legal matters
- Cultural mapping and resources
- Explorations of protocols
- A history of Indigenous art in Canada
- Indigenous art in public, commercial, and/or community realms
The course is open to anyone with an existing or emerging arts practice including traditional craftspeople, dancers, filmmakers, musicians, hand drummers, new media content creators, visual artists, writers and knowledge keepers. If you’re a self-employed artist, or looking to increase the portion of your employment derived from your art, then this course is for you.
The course will run for eight consecutive Wednesday evenings in October and November 2019, from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. each night, at the Creative Manitoba offices in Winnipeg. There are only 10 spots available. The cost is $120 CDN for members of Creative Manitoba, $170 CDN for non-members, and subsidies and assistance are available. Register here.