SOCAN member composers Gary Kulesha and Deantha Edmunds were among the investments and appointments to the Order of Canada in December of 2023.
Kulesha was honoured for his contributions as an esteemed composer, conductor, and mentor to the next generation of classical musicians. Edmunds was recognized for her significant contributions as Canada’s first Inuk opera singer, her original compositions, and her mentorship of young Indigenous musicians.
While not SOCAN members, various other honourees were recognized for their impact within Canada’s music ecosystem.
Among them were :
- Linda Manzer, for her trailblazing contributions and achievements as one of the world’s leading luthiers.
- Ardyth Brott, for her contributions to the Canadian orchestral community, and for her sustained support for youth involvement in music.
- Lois McDonall, for her celebrated career as one of Canada’s leading sopranos, and for her mentorship of the next generation of performers.
- Joel Andrew Quarrington, for his contributions as a world-leading double-bass player and respected educator.
- George Stroumboulopoulos, for his leading contributions to Canadian media and journalism as a renowned broadcaster and producer in television and radio.
SOCAN congratulates all of these honourees on this great achievement!