The six SOCAN members participating in the 2018 Slaight Music Residency at the Canadian Film Centre attended an early-evening, wine-and-cheese reception at SOCAN’s Toronto office on Aug. 8, 2018, where we celebrated their acceptance into the program and answered any questions they had about how SOCAN works with our #ComposersWhoScore.
The 2018 songwriters and composers participating in the residency are (in alphabetical order, by last name):
- Suad Bushnaq
- Jason Couse (of Darcys)
- Ashley Jane
- Stephen Krecklo
- Antonio Naranjo
- Timon Wientzek
Also attending were Canadian Film Centre staffers Kathryn Emslie, Erica Proudlock, Nafisi Murji and Gillian Manchee, and from The Screen Composers Guild of Canada, Tonya Dedrick. SOCAN screen composer Darren Fung, who serves as a consultant for the residency program, also attended. Representing SOCAN were CEO Eric Baptiste, Membership/A&R representatives Michael McCarty, Rodney Murphy, Brandi Pickering, Aidan D’Aoust, Peter Fera, and Paul Stillo.
The Slaight Music Residency is a creative and business initiative for composers and songwriters. It encourages the complete integration of music creators into the onscreen process, while offering unique business opportunities to increase the use of Canadian music in film and TV. The residency is a part-time, nine-month program that balances artistic expression and creative collaboration with current market demands.
The goals are to
- increase the music creators’ screen-oriented musical knowledge and skills;
- broker creative and business opportunities by offering access to international mentors, creative advisors and industry professionals;
- inspire creativity, and a deeper understanding of the relationship between music and film/TV, through high-level case studies and workshops;
- deliver a series of complex screen music exercises and opportunities;
- expand their “demo reels”;
- build opportunities to showcase their talent onscreen; and
- position them for future work in the screen entertainment industry.
SOCAN congratulates its members accepted into the program, and wishes them well on their nine-month journey through it!