What is the SCGC?
The SCGC, the Screen Composers Guild of Canada, is a trade association certified under the Federal Status of the Artist Act, to represent all screen composers in Canada except those working in the French language, who are represented by our sister organization La Société professionnelle des auteurs et des compositeurs (SPACQ ). The SCGC promotes the status and rights of screen composers through professional development, sharing information, and advocacy on issues such as copyright and the value of screen music.
Who are SCGC members?
SCGC members are music composers who are creating, or are interested in creating, scores for large, medium, and small screens such as cinema, television, web, mobile, and video games.
Why should I become a member?
• Community – Our profession is a unique one, and the SCGC has built a strong culture of openness and sharing for members.
• The SCGC Discuss List – The discuss list is one of the most powerful information resources in the industry. This e-mail chat reaches all of our members, providing advice to and from composers at all stages of their careers and varied musical backgrounds. New members are frequently amazed at how generous the SCGC community is with technical tips, business advice, and other forms of help. We truly believe that “a rising tide raises all ships,” and strive to make every member the best they can be so that collectively, Canada remains known and respected for it’s excellent composers.
• Professional Development – SCGC offers a wide range of professional development programs for our members at all stages of their careers. These include business, technical and creative workshops, seminars and Master Classes. We have also developed more than 15 hours of instructional video clips covering 17 topics posted online as well as many hours of DVD tutorials and seminars that are available to our members free of charge.
• Advocacy – The SCGC is your voice as a working or aspiring composer. It is vital for all of us to engage and join the industrial and political conversations that impact our working environment and our ability to earn a decent living. As we are increasingly being isolated in our personal studios, the SCGC connects and enables us to find common positions on how best to lobby for and advocate for the livelihoods and rights of all screen composers in Canada.
• Additional Member Benefits – Your SCGC membership provides valuable discounts on hotels, car rentals, health clubs, shows, attractions and movies. We are currently working on a group health plan.
What are the membership fees?
The SCGC provides three membership options geared to composers at various levels of their careers, as shown on our website. The fees are very reasonable and 100% tax-deductible.