SOCAN has announced the finalists for the 2023 SOCAN Songwriting Prize, celebrating the exceptional talent of Canadian emerging songwriters in 2022, as determined by music industry and journalism experts. The 16 finalist songs exhibit the diversity and creativity of Canada, and fans can vote for their favourite now.
The SOCAN Songwriting Prize, and the equivalent Prix de la chanson SOCAN for Francophone songwriters, are the only major songwriting awards in Canada honouring the incredible talent of Canada’s emerging songwriters.
“The SOCAN Songwriting prize highlights Canada’s next wave of great songwriters. From all corners of the country, they’re putting out tremendous bodies of work, reminding us how special it is to live amongst such culturally rich storytelling,“ said Jennifer Brown, SOCAN CEO. “This is why the Online Streaming Act is so important: we must continue to advocate for the support and promotion of our talent, ensuring that Canadians will always be able to create, and listen to, music that reflects their lived experience, now and in the future.“
The eight finalists for the SOCAN Songwriting Prize (English) are:
- “always” – written by Felix Fox-Pappas, Chester Hansen, Eliza Niemi, Alexander Sowinski, Leland Whitty, Jonah Yano; performed by Jonah Yano;
Hansen, Sowinski, and Whitty published by Third Side Music Inc., Yano published by Secretly Canadian Publishing.
- “Big Steppa” – written by Bolu Akande and Tosan Arenyeka; performed by aRENYE.
- “Grab Your Guts” – written by Maylee Todd; performed by Maylee Todd.
- “IF THERE’S NO SEAT IN THE SKY (WILL YOU FORGIVE ME???)” – written by Saya Gray; performed by Saya Gray;
published by Saya Gray/Kobalt Music Publishing Canada.
- “Levels” – written by Max Akres, Jeremy Alain, Corben Bowen, Zachary Djurich, Chris Larocca, Herag Sanbalian, Jacob Wilkinson-Smith; performed by Boslen.
Larocca published by Kilometre Music Group. All rights on behalf of Kilometre Music Group B administered by Warner Chappell Music Canada Ltd.
- “Put ‘Em Down” – written by Jeffrey Maurice, Joshua Qaumariaq; performed by The Trade-Offs.
- “Silver Into Rain” – written by Hannah Kim, Beatrice Laus; performed by Luna Li feat. beabadoobee.
Kim published by 88 Rising/Kobalt Music Publishing Canada. Laus published by Sony Music Publishing.
- “STEPMOM” – written by Dacey Andrada, Justin Tecson; performed by Dacey.
Fans can vote daily in both the English and French competitions from Nov. 9 to 16, 2023, for their favourite song by the nominees, by visiting socansongwritingprize.ca. The winning songs are scheduled to be announced the week of Nov. 20, 2023.
The eight song finalists for the 2023 Prix de la chanson SOCAN, the Francophone counterpart to the SOCAN Songwriting Prize, are:
- “Ton shift est pas fini” – written by Gabriel Bouchard, Mathieu Quenneville; performed by Gab Bouchard; published by Éditions Bravo Musique Inc.
- “Depuis” – written by Lydia Képinski; performed by Lydia Képinski.
- “Fille à porter” – written by Ariane Roy, Roxane Azzaria; performed by Ariane Roy, Lou-Adriane Cassidy.
- “D’où c’que j’viens” – written by Simon Bolduc; performed by Bolduc tout croche.
- “Lesbienne woke sur l’autotune” – written by Julie Gagnon, Charles Gaudreau-Lerhe; performed by Calamine.
- “Tintagel” – written by Lysandre Ménard; performed by Lysandre.
- “C00N” – written by Shamyr Daléus, Nicholas Craven; performed by Raccoon; published by Disques RER Inc..
- “Attiser le dilemme” – written by Rose–Emmanuelle Brassard, Joannie Michaud, Frédéric Levac; performed by Rosie Valland; published by Secret City Publishing.
Every year, two independent panels, each comprising 10 music industry influencers, nominate long lists of 30 English and 30 French songs by emerging Canadian songwriters and composers, released in the previous year, that they feel are artistically superior and meet eligibility criteria. All long-listed songs are then voted on by the panels to determine each list of eight finalists in English and French. SOCAN does not have a role in determining nominees or winners.