Matthew Burnett discusses how he co-wrote and co-produced the song “Love Again” – which won a 2020 SOCAN R&B Music Award – with Daniel Caesar and his production partner Jordan Evans; how the song started in the shower, and was first developed in a Swedish hotel room; how Brandy came to sing on the duet; and his work as a co-manager of Caesar as well as being his co- writer, co-producer, and part of his live band.
Says Billboard magazine of “Love Me”: “The track blends LIGHTS’ crystalline vocals with [Felix] Cartal’s dancefloor sensibilities, resulting in a collaboration that would fit neatly in any heart-shaped box of candy.” The thoughtful pop star and the electronic dance music professional tell us the stories of how they first met, and how they created the winning song.
Publisher Warner Chappell Music Canada has co-published five SOCAN 2020 Awards, for:
- Snow’s share of Daddy Yankee’s “Con Calma” (Pop Award);
- Songwriter/producer T-Minus’s share of Young Thug’s “The London” (Rap Award);
- Songwriter/producer T-Minus’s share of J. Cole’s “Middle Child” (Rap Award);
- DeLorean Black’s share of Rick Ross’ “Money in the Grave” (Rap Award); and
- Ali Gatie’s share of his song “It’s You” (Viral Song Award).
Warner Chappell’s Vivian Barclay discusses how the company supports this wide range of songwriters in different ways, how the songs have global reach, and the joy of having a “legacy” hit when an older song finds new life again.