Lessons Learned: Devon Portielje of Half Moon Run, on songwritingConseils de membres: Les conseils de composition de Devon Portielje de Half Moon Run - SOCAN Words and Music
- “[Producer] Rick Hutt told me, ‘You’re going to get to wherever it is you’re going.’ It sounds simple, but it’s really about enjoying the process of getting there, not just arriving.”
- “My game plan when I’m going into a write is that I have something I’d enjoy singing, whatever it says. And a lot of times I’ll have a tempo, groove, melody or phrasing to fit a topic or theme.”
- If your song kind of sucks, kill it while it’s weak. There’s already too much bad music out there. No, strings won’t help.
- If your brother’s song isn’t that great, don’t tell him. It makes your songs sound better on the album.
- Try not to rhyme love with love more than once a song.